PIPEDA - Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act
Collection of Personal Information
Lakeshore Swim Club is committed to adhering to the privacy principles set out in the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
The President is the club's 'privacy officer' for the purposes of the PIPEDA, and is responsible for ensuring the club complies with privacy principles and handling access requests or complaints about the handling of personal information.
We collect personal information from swimmers and their parents, prospective members, coaches, officials and in order to conduct aquatic programming. We collect the following information:
- name, address, telephone and e-mail addresses of swimmers and their parents for the purposes of communicating about club activities and programs and to create a membership contact list for distribution to all members.
- date of birth of swimmers for the purpose of determining age group eligibility.
- clothing sizes of swimmers, coaches and parents for the purposes of supplying articles of clothing.
We maintain personal information in paper and electronic form, and ensure that personal information is stored securely using a variety of methods.
- We will ask for consent from people (parents or guardians in the case of minor children) before collecting personal information, we will indicate why we are collecting it and we will use it only for those purposes.
- We may collect personal information without consent where reasonable to do so and where permitted by law.
If someone refuses to consent to let us collect and use personal information, it might mean the Club cannot provide services to a swimmer or their family.
We give personal information to third parties as follows:
- We provide a list of each swimmer, their parents, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses and dates of birth to each member family for the purposes of assisting with communications between members.
- We give every swimmer's name, date of birth, address, and related contact information to Swim Ontario to register them as members of Swim Ontario.
- We provide swimmers' names and dates of birth or age to organizers of swim meets for the purpose of officially entering swimmers in meets.
- When we transfer personal information to third parties, we will require that party to be in compliance with applicable privacy legislation.
- We may disclose personal information to a government authority that has asserted its lawful authority to obtain the information or where the Club has reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful in the investigation of an unlawful activity, or to comply with a subpoena or warrant or an order made by the court, person, or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of the information or otherwise as permitted by applicable law.
- We will keep personal information about members, coaches and officials for three years after they leave the club.